Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Am I Evil?

One of the on-going life issues artists deal with is ego. We all have them, but I think artists and musicians especially struggle - even more so if their work is displayed on a stage for all to see.
It is so easy in the choices that I make to have a hidden agenda. "Well, if I do this song I can really wail on it and people will tell me how great I am." I never really process it like that, but deep down I can feel it.
Jesus' brother, James, talked about selfish ambition in his book of the Bible. The Message puts it this way, "As it is, you are full of your grandiose selves. All such vaunting self-importance is evil." He didn't say selfish ambition is disappointing or being off track or less than the best - he said it's EVIL! Man, that one hurts!
Anything I do or choice that I make that promotes me so that I will receive the credit is evil. This sin is a sneaky one and can slip in before I know it. I will have to keep an eye out for this one.

1 comment:

Jennifer Bouani said...

What??? You're not evil! Be proud of your gift. You are very talented. There is NOTHING wrong with realizing and admitting that to yourself. Humility is overrated. I struggled with the same thing back when I was singing solos in the youth choir. We were taught that it was wrong to be proud of your gift. But what a scam that was. Later, I realized that we do mankind an injustice by imposing guilt for greatness. Ultimately, if practiced universally, this leads to man being "not so great." Who needs that? What good can come from that? Man is innately good, not evil. Celebrate all that man achieves, especially those achievements that are your own!!!