Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Human Rules vs. God's Commands

The worship team and I have been talking a lot lately about really being culturally relevant. We have been asking questions and pursuing dialogue about how Americans really respond to things in which they believe. It seems that the church culture is one of the few places where people sing out loud together for any length of time. I wonder how culturally relevant congregational singing is for unchurched people? Is it such a huge part of church culture because God intended it to be that dominant, or because we, as humans, made it that way. Just a thought...
Anyway, I am reading through the book of Mark and I found this story in Chapter 7 where Jesus was dealing with the same issue - Human expectations versus God's expectations. Even back then, the church leaders made up a bunch of rules and practices that they handed down from generation to generation until they became the unquestioned focal point of the religious culture. Jesus quoted Isaiah in verse six, "These people show honor to me with words, but their hearts are far from me."

No comments: