Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Writing Songs For My Community

I have been intentional to focus more on songwriting lately. I am not the best at it, but I have discovered the power in a song that is birthed from within a community. There is something special when people connect with a song that was written by someone they know, someone who is sharing the journey with them.
In his book, Matt Casper made this comment about the original songs he heard in one morning service while visiting: "Yeah, I knew they weren't from the same song factory that cranks out the tunes performed at some of the other places we've visited. Maybe that's why they feel totally nonmanipulative as they pull the heartstrings. The best way I can think to describe them is 'organic anthems.'"
I recognize that there are amazing songs written by amazing songwriters much better than me - and I will continue to use them as a part of the worship experiences I oversee. But, I am finding the freedom to step into the joy of writing "organic anthems" for Community of Faith. Songs that come from who we are as a community and how God is calling us to impact our world.

No comments: